Saturday 1 October 2011

Bless the LORD, O my soul

The first time that I came across this thought processes was a year ago, in a very pink hostel room in the middle of Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. But recent events have brought these things back to the forefront of my mind.

Psalm 103:1-5   
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

It is mind boggling to me that our souls and bless God. I mean just ponder that thought for a second. What is a blessing? I've always been able to understand what it is by viewing it as the opposite of a curse. When God pours down his blessings on us, great things happen in our lives and in our hearts. Does not Ephesians say that we have received every spiritual blessing? Now take that barrel of thoughts and add it to what David wrote above. This is mind boggling. The great I AM, the only truly perfect and holy one in and outside of this universe, the only one who is truly complete and lacking in nothing and is worthy of every ounce of creations praise. Our souls can bless that God! There is part of my mind that cannot seem to fully comprehend this, but I can fully accept it.

I understand why David would want to tell his soul sing to and bless God. When you have received that forgiveness, that grace and mercy you can only revive through Christ, how can you not want your soul to Bless the Lord? So whatever it looks like, I want my soul to bless the Lord. As Matt Redman puts it in his new song...


Selah...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your own murmurings here...